Since its launch in 2017, TikTok has taken the social media world by storm. It’s now one of the fastest growing mobile apps in the world, with over 800 million monthly active users. As a digital marketer, you can’t afford to ignore TikTok. Read on to discover how you can use the platform to market your product or service, and to reach new and diverse audiences around the world.
What is TikTok?
TikTok is a social media app that allows users to post short-form music, talent, or comedy videos up to 15 seconds in length (although users can put four separate videos together to create 60-second pieces). Videos can incorporate filters and editing effects, or show the user lip-synching to a song. Users can also browse millions of user-generated short videos – many of which are bizarre and whacky - on the platform. The majority of TikTok users are Generation Z or millennials, who are based in major cities around the world and are attracted by the authenticity and creativity offered by the platform.
Why should I advertise on TikTok?
TikTok brought ads to its platform in 2019. Since then, big names like Nike, Universal Pictures, and Guess have used TikTok ads to create unique, eye-catching campaigns – and to drive huge numbers of impressions. Advertisers on TikTok also have access to its global family of apps, including Helo, TopBuzz, and BuzzVideo, which can help them find new users who may be interested in their offerings. However, TikTok is not automatically the right advertising vehicle for every brand. To check if it’s right for you, ask yourself these questions:
- Who is your target audience?If your target audience mainly consists of young people, then TikTok could be a very good choice: after all, about 66% of TikTok users are under 30, with 41% in the 16 to 24 age bracket; and many of the trending videos on the platform relate to topics like school and homework. If your target audience is significantly older, then you may not benefit as much from the platform. However, do bear in mind that young people are traditionally the ‘early adopters’ of most new technologies, and older demographics are increasingly discovering and using the app.
- Can you afford it?You need to decide if TikTok is an affordable choice, especially if you are a small business. Advertising on the platform is still relatively new, so it can be expensive: about $10 per CPM, with large campaigns costing hundreds of thousands of dollars. In addition, you need to invest a minimum of $500 in a TikTok campaign. So if you have a small budget or are trying to keep costs down, TikTok may not be right for you.
How can I set up a TikTok Ads account?
If you decide to go ahead and advertise on TikTok, the first thing you need to do is create a TikTok Ads account. To do this:
- Visit the TikTok Ads homepage:https://ads.tiktok.com/homepage/
- Click the Create an Ad button
- Fill in the form that appears with your details and click Submit
- A representative from TikTok will contact you, and your account will be set up within 48 hours
When your account is set up, you will have access to the platform’s dashboard and can start creating ad campaigns.
How can I create a TikTok ad campaign?
It’s pretty easy to create a TikTok ad campaign. Just go to your account dashboard and follow these key steps:
- Click the Campaign tab and then click Create
- Choose a campaign objective
- Set your daily or lifetime budget
- Create an ad group for your campaign
- Choose your ad placements and audience targeting
- Configure the budget and schedule for your ad group
- Set the pacing for your budget
- Select an optimization goal
What kind of ads can I upload to TikTok?
Once you’ve created your campaign, you’re ready to upload ads to TikTok. You need to think creatively here, as it’s important to keep viewers engaged on the platform at all times. On TikTok Ads, you can choose from a variety of formats, includinghorizontal, vertical, orsquare videos and images.
It’s a good idea to make use ofTikTok’s Video Creation Kitwhen designing your ads. This tool makes it easy for you to create video ads. It provides you with a variety of video and image templates, which you can customize using your existing assets, as well as free background music options.
On TikTok, you can experiment with a variety of differentad types, including:
- Brand Takeovers:You can immediately hook user attention with brand takeovers, as they appear instantly when a user opens TikTok. This ad type can deliver a strong visual impact for your brand.
- In-feed Ads:These native ads are integrated into users’ ‘For You’ feeds. Users can like, comment, share, and follow the videos.
- Hashtag Challenges:These encourage users to share content on TikTok on your brand’s behalf for several days. They tap into TikTok users’ passion for creation and self-expression, and can create a high level of engagement for your brand.
How can I optimize my TikTok ads?
Use these tips to ensure your TikTok ads are as effective as possible:
- Use high-resolution images:Your ad’s visuals will take over the user’s entire screen in brand takeovers and in-feed ads, so you want them to be sharp, clear, and of the highest quality.
- Include a single call-to-action (CTA):You don’t want to confuse your viewers. Make it very clear what you want them to do next.
- Write concise ad descriptions:With TikTok, you have very limited space for using words. In fact, you only have about 80 characters to play with when writing ad descriptions. So choose every word carefully.
- Ensure key elements are prominently placed:Place your key creative elements in the middle of the screen, so that they don’t conflict with the ad description appearing at the bottom of the screen.
- Experiment:Experiment with different creative elements and ad formats, until you find the one that works most successfully for you.
How is influencer marketing used on TikTok?
You could also consider usinginfluencer marketingon TikTok, which is really gaining in popularity. In particular, a growing number ofmicro-influencersare now active on the platform, enticing younger audiences away from more established social platforms like Facebook and Twitter. A micro-influencer is someone who has a social media follower-base of about 1,000 to 100,000 followers. Increasingly, brands are collaborating with micro-influencers on TikTok in order to market themselves to more focused, niche audiences. They can use the popularity of the influencer to increase brand awareness or sales, and to boost their authenticity.
To find a suitable micro-influencer to partner with, you’ll need to do some research. Look through the videos on the platform and see if there are any creators posting high-quality, engaging content that relates in some way to your brand. If you’d like to work with one of them, simply reach out and discuss your requirements.
TikTok is one of the most downloaded apps in the world and is growing organically at a phenomenal rate. It’s impossible to know how long its success will continue or whether its millions of users will remain loyal to the app in the long term. What’s clear is that this is a platform that’s well worth investigating. It can offer advertisers access to the trend-setters of today, as well as the consumers of tomorrow. So don’t waste time or get left behind. Take a look at what TikTok is offering today. The clock really is ticking….
- The Rapid Rise of TikTok
- An In-Depth Look at Marketing on TikTok
Be short and snappy. Be brief when using the TikTok platform. While you can create an ad up to 60 seconds long, the most impactful will be around 15 seconds. 63% of ads that show the product within the first 3 seconds get the highest click through rate.How do you advertise on TikTok effectively? ›
Be short and snappy. Be brief when using the TikTok platform. While you can create an ad up to 60 seconds long, the most impactful will be around 15 seconds. 63% of ads that show the product within the first 3 seconds get the highest click through rate.How successful is TikTok marketing? ›
Whether you use TikTok ads or brand takeovers, or post regular videos about your product, you have a good chance of someone seeing and buying it. According to research from Adweek, nearly half of TikTokers make purchases from brands they see in the app.Is marketing on TikTok worth it? ›
TikTok Ads Can Offer Great Value
As of 2022, TikTok ads also have a $10 CPM (cost per thousand impressions), a $1 CPC (cost per click), and you must spend at least $500 for a single campaign. Compared to other social media platforms, TikTok is not an expensive advertising platform, but not the cheapest one either.
- Step 1: Make sure you have a business account. ...
- Step 2: Turn on TikTok integration for your Shopify store. ...
- Step 3: Open the TikTok Ads Manager. ...
- Step 4: Set your advertising goal. ...
- Step 5: Select your audience. ...
- Step 6: Set your budget and schedule. ...
- Step 7: Create your ad.
1. Build brand love by thinking TikTok-first. Don't underestimate the power of text overlays: creative attributes that get people to read increase view time, drive recall, and make ads more likable. ⁴ You can even try the auto captions feature to add subtitles automatically.What is the minimum budget for TikTok ads? ›
TikTok Ad Costs
Minimum Spend: TikTok requires a $500 minimum ad spend, with a minimum campaign level daily budget of $50, a minimum AdGroup level daily budget of $20. A Brand Takeover: TikTok will guarantee five million impressions with this advertising strategy.
Similar to other social media platforms, you should have at least 10,000 followers for brands to consider you. If you meet this requirement, in addition to the basic TikTok rules, it is likely you can get sponsored by a brand or business on TikTok.How often should I post on TikTok for business? ›
Most brands will benefit from posting 1 to 3 times per day, but this is no hard and fast rule.What time should I post on TikTok? ›
According to a study by Influencer Marketing Hub, the best time to post on TikTok overall is on Tuesday at 9 a.m., Thursday at 12 a.m., and Friday at 5 a.m. These are additional high-engagement times to post content on the platform: Monday: 6 a.m., 10 a.m., 10 p.m.
The average TikTok Ads CPC is $1.
CPC defines the cost per click. Set the targeting options correctly so that the TikTok algorithm shows your ad to the target audience who is most likely to click on your ad.
Facebook, on average, has a higher link CTR of 0.76% compared to TikTok's average of around 0.50%. This means that users are more likely to click on a link in a Facebook ad than a TikTok ad.How much does TikTok pay? ›
Top creators say that TikTok pays contributors between 2 and 4 cents per 1,000 views through its TikTok Creator Fund. Doing the math, that means creators stand to earn $20 to $40 dollars per 1 million views through the program. Follow The Leap on TikTok and Instagram for more monetization tips for creators.How much does it cost to sell on TikTok? ›
TikTok charges commission fees on sales through the platform, but they are lower compared to other marketplaces. For the first 90 days after setup, you will gain a lower commission fee of 1.8% for each product sale. After 90 days, the fee will increase to 5%.Can you advertise on TikTok for free? ›
You can set up a free TikTok Ads account and create In-Feed ads with your own set budget and schedule. Currently, TikTok's minimum campaign budget is $500 and the minimum ad group budget is $50.What is the best length for TikTok ads? ›
Video file type: .
mpeg, . 3gp, or . avi. Video length: 5 to 60 seconds (TikTok recommends 9 to 15 seconds for best results)
How often you post can also affect how your content is distributed on the platform (TikTok recommends posting 1-4 times per day). To find a posting schedule that will please both the TikTok algorithm and your fans, keep a close eye on your performance until you find a frequency that works.How to create a successful TikTok marketing strategy for 2023? ›
- Encourage comments.
- Post regularly.
- Hop on trends.
- Use hashtags.
- Run TikTok ads.
- Review your TikTok analytics.
- Have fun.
- Thrive on TikTok in 2023.
TikTok advertising prices start at $0.50 CPM and $0.02 cost per click. A minimum budget of $500 is required to spend on a campaign, with a minimum daily budget of $50 at the campaign level and a minimum of $20 per day at the ad group level.What is the average daily budget for TikTok ads? ›
How much are TikTok ads per day? TikTok requires a minimum budget of $50 per-day at the campaign level and $20 per-day at the ad group level.
Among the 168 retail and restaurant brands surveyed, 78% of them reported that they have realized a positive ROI on their TikTok ads. And more than half of them reported that the positive ROI came within six months, according to Capterra.How do you get brands to sponsor you? ›
- Research potential sponsors. Look at your existing supporters. ...
- Tell your organization's story. ...
- Provide sponsor incentives. ...
- Reach out to established companies. ...
- Use data to legitimize your pitch. ...
- Find the right contact. ...
- Build a connection over time. ...
- Follow up.
TikTok pricing for influencers: Nano: $50–$300. Micro: $300–$1,250. Mid: $1,250–$3,500.How much does TikTok pay for 1,000 followers? ›
How much money does 1,000 followers on TikTok make? Macro influencers earn an average of $197 per post for branded content, According to Statista. At 1,000 followers, you can also convert virtual gifts earned during TikTok lives into Diamonds, which payout at a rate of around 5 cents per Diamond.How many hashtags should I use on TikTok? ›
According to experts, TikTok users should use hashtags with purpose and only add three to five hashtags in their captions to optimize their efforts.Is posting 3 Tiktoks a day good? ›
TikTok recommends posting three times a day as this will increase your chances of reaching your audience at their most active time. Posting consistently at multiple best times can help you reach your target audience in different time zones.Is posting once a week on TikTok enough? ›
How often should I post? On platforms like Facebook and Instagram, I advise my clients to post 3-4 times per week. That's not enough for TikTok–you'll need to post at a minimum once per day. You need to show your audience that you're committed to creating content consistently.Do hashtags matter on TikTok? ›
Do hashtags work on TikTok? They certainly do! Just like on Twitter, Instagram, and other social media platforms, hashtags help users share and find content and join conversations about topics that interest them. TikTok users can build communities around hashtags, too.How do I get more views on TikTok after posting? ›
- Engage TikTok trending videos. ...
- Re-upload the video with more hashtags. ...
- Re-upload your post at the right time. ...
- Use the TikTok “Promote” feature. ...
- Share your post on other social media platforms. ...
- Mention old TikTok videos in new posts. ...
- Create a TikTok content pillar.
Exit the App After Posting. One hack that doesn't get mentioned often enough is getting off the app right after you've posted. TikTok wants you to use the app, and when it notices that you're gone for a while, it's going to try and get your attention by sending you notifications.
Animal body parts/products from rhino, orangutan, elephant, or any endangered or threatened animals, including but not limited to organs, horns, ivory, bone, skin, fur, wool, leather, or teeth. ༚ Exception: Products for animals (toys, clothes, collars, cages, food, etc.)Why not to use TikTok for business? ›
One big “don't” when it comes to using TikTok for business marketing is to try and push sales too hard. TikTok is all about entertaining and engaging content, not pushing sales messages. Trying to sell too much on TikTok can turn away potential followers and customers.Why is TikTok better than Instagram for marketing? ›
TikTok advertising costs are generally lower than Instagram. TikTok has a younger demographic, with the 13-24-year-old segments representing 69% of the app's user base. Videos audio play, so it is easier for brands to get seen when users are scrolling through content.How much should I charge for 1 TikTok video? ›
According to Influencer Marketing Hub, this is how much different tier influencers charge per post on TikTok: Nano creators usually charge between $5 to $25 per sponsored post. Micro creators usually charge between $25 to $125 per sponsored post. Mid-tier creators usually charge between $125 to $1K per sponsored post.How much money is 500k views on TikTok? ›
How much money is 500k views on TikTok? TikTok pays approximately $15 for 500,000 views.How much does TikTok pay monthly? ›
According to reports from top influencers, TikTok pays around $0.02 and $0.04 for every 1,000 views. These are reports based on payments received through the TikTok Creator Fund. This is a program that TikTok introduced in 2021 in a bid to compensate content creators for creating content on the platform.Is TikTok advertising cheap? ›
TikTok Ads CPM
According to the platform rules, the average pricing of the Cost Per Mile starts at $10 per 1,000 views, and there is a minimum cap of $500 per campaign to be spent.
|Total Followers||Total Likes||Estimated Earning|
|100||100||$5 – $8|
|100||1000||$17 – $26|
|100||10000||$54 – $81|
According to at least one survey from several TikTok contributors though, the amount TikTok pays out per 1000 views was roughly $0.02-0.04. That means that for a million views, you can expect to receive between $20-40. That pales in comparison to numbers from other platforms.Do you need 1,000 followers to sell on TikTok? ›
To participate in its ad-revenue sharing program, TikTok Pulse: a creator must be 18 years or older, have at least 100,000 followers, and have posted at least 5 videos in the previous 30 days. To receive subscription revenue from TikTok Live: a creator must be 18 years or older and have a minimum of 1,000 followers.
- Change To Business Account.
- Complete your Sales Account Data and Verification.
- Add your selling products to the Tiktok Shop.
- Create Interesting Content To Reach Many Audiences.
- Give Attractive Promos.
- Create your account. ...
- Switch your account to “Pro”. ...
- Create content. ...
- Engage with your audience. ...
- Utilize influencer marketing. ...
- Promote user-generated content. ...
- Explore other selling options on TikTok. ...
- Take advantage of TikTok's resource center.
- In-Feed ads.
- TopView (making your ad the first thing they see when they open the app)
- Brand Takeover (like TopView, first seen when the app is opened but it's a full-screen ad)
- Brand Hashtag Challenges (custom hashtag challenges placed on Discovery page)
In order to use the TikTok Ads Manager, you'll need to have a business account for the platform. Switching over is both free and easy. In the app, simply go to Settings and Privacy, then Manage Account, and tap Switch to Business Account.Is advertising on TikTok profitable? ›
TikTok advertising can be an incredibly lucrative pursuit (especially if you're marketing to the gals: the audience for TikTok Ads is 57% female). Here's how to make sure your ads are reaching their maximum potential.What is the success rate of TikTok ads? ›
TikTok's average conversion rate is around 3.4%. Track your influencer's conversion rate to gauge the success of their TikTok campaigns and drive viewers down the marketing funnel.Are Google ads better than TikTok ads? ›
Google Ads provides a wide range of ad formats and accurate targeting options, but it can be expensive and has a steep learning curve. TikTok Ads provides a highly engaged user base and affordable advertising options, but it has limited targeting options and a smaller audience.Is TikTok good for small business? ›
Nearly 90% of all TikTok users are younger than 50. TikTok for Business users can create TopView Ads, In-Feed Ads, Brand Takeover Ads, Branded Effects and Branded Hashtag Challenges. TikTok is great for increasing your audience reach, consumer engagement and creativity.How long do TikTok ads take to work? ›
Typically, most ads are reviewed within 24 hours, although in some cases it may take longer. The following changes to previously approved ads or ad groups will trigger a new review process: Targeting (except for age targeting) Creative (images, ad text, links, videos, etc.)
TikTok Ad Review Process
When you submit an ad for review, it usually takes 24 hours to review. To avoid any delays, you want to make sure your ad meets the platform's ad requirements and follows its policies.
Any new TikTok ads must be reviewed before they can be published to make sure that they meet the app's advertising policies. Most ads are approved within 24 hours of being posted, but in some cases, it can take longer than that.How much does a TikTok ad earn per 1000 views? ›
The consensus is that the TikTok Creator Fund pays between 2 and 4 cents for every 1,000 views, which adds up to only $20 to $40 dollars for a million views.Can you make $10,000 a month with affiliate marketing? ›
If you want to build a $10,000 a month affiliate marketing business, you need to be making money consistently. The way that you do this is by building a funnel. If you're creating content and you're getting traffic, you want to direct people into a funnel where you can collect their email addresses.How do I become a TikTok affiliate marketer? ›
- Step1. Log in to TikTok Shop Seller Center.
- Step2. Click the "Affiliate Marketing" button at the top.
- Step3. Create an affiliate plan based on your needs.
With the rise of micro-influencers, even accounts with less than 2,000 followers can become great affiliates. However, a good number is 5,000 to 15,000 followers to expect a substantial sale from affiliate marketing. At the end of the day, look for high engagement rate vs. the number of followers.